Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?
As a smoker I find that the chances of you getting cancer from walking past me outside once a week even when then the smokers area is the furthest point from anywhere and then blaming it on me is unbelievable. I made the choice to smoke and prohibiting me from smoking anywhere outside when smoking is still legal is stupid. I feel highly discriminated against all because I am a smoker. Leave me and my habit alone.
This post makes a lot of sense to me as a fellow smoker... The smoking areas on campus make me feel like I'm being banished to the Land of Lepers.
ReplyDeleteI always think it's funny how people can be so discriminatory in one hand while being so hypocritical at the same time. I love to see a cigarette-hater with a double-cheeseburger in their hand.
I'll speak from the other side.
ReplyDeleteI hate the idea of smoking. It's a waste of money, resources, advertising revenue, and choice or not, it IS harmful to people around you. Smokers are "segregated" for public health reasons, not to make you feel like a leper, but to allow people like myself (weak lungs, bad health) to NOT feel like one when we cough and gag on the carcinogenic clouds that smoking creates.
I hate the idea of people who hate smoking. Fortunately in America, we still have the concept of "freedom." Too bad we can't segregate people based on their opinions for public health reasons.
DeleteI think it is fine to have us in our own smokers area however I myself have weak lungs and very little problems with the smoke. Also I still do not understand how the smoke is harmful to anyone when I am outside the smoke is not near you, you know the smokers areas and the wind usually helps with removing it. As for a waste of money I am sure the thousands of people that grow it pack them and the gas stops that sell them would hate to see them go away. I do not see you complaining about mcdonalds that is known for cause heart problems and making people fat yet not a word about anything else but how horrible smoking is. That is what upsets me stop targeting us as a group.
DeleteThere are usually restrictions for things because of the existence of assholes, lazy people, and rude people. I smoke. When I do in public, I do so tastefully. I also don't throw my butts on the ground. A lot of people do. It's true that the campus does not accommodate smokers fully, but I do what I do however... tastefully of course. There are people that just complain for the sake of it. Oh well to them. They certainly have their hands full with being petty and all. I say, "I'm sorry you've yet to find a deep importance in your life. Get a hobby!"
ReplyDelete